GeneCell International, LLC.
|Location||:||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Posted by||:||Genecell ( View user all ads )|
|Posted On||:||Oct 6, 2011|
Dental Pulp Banking
As with umbilical cord blood banking, GeneCell International is at the forefront of the research and the technology developed to process and store stem cells found within the dental pulp.
Why is dental pulp so special?
The dental pulp is a small mass of living connective tissue, blood vessels, nerves and stem cells located in the chamber of the tooth. These cells are pluripotent (mesenchymal) stem cells, which means that they have the potential to differentiate themselves into a variety of other cell types, including:
- Myocytes: to repair muscle
- Cardio Myocytes: to repair damaged cardiac tissue
- Neurons: to generate nerve and brain tissue
- Osteocytes: to generate bone
- Chondrocytes: to generate cartilage
Mesenchymal stem cells have shown great promise in the potential treatment of diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, type I diabetes, heart attack, stroke, multiple sclerosis, ALS, spinal injury and many more.
What are the advantages of banking dental pulp stem cells?
Although most people are familiar with banking cord , few people are aware of the advantages of harvesting stem cells from the dental pulp:
- Dental pulp can be obtained unobtrusively as children or adults lose teeth
- The stem cells found in dental pulp are non-controversial adult stem cells (mesenchymal stem cells)
- Dental pulp stem cells are excellent candidates for regenerative medicine and tissue engineering applications